Thursday, October 10, 2013

Uniformity


This article fascinated me greatly as I’m very much interested in the recent issue and debates of uniforms in schools, particularly the huge push for unisex uniforms. At the present this issue is one of the most debated in the education system in Sydney and as this article explains more and more schools are thinking about opting away from the ‘traditional’ tunic for girls and shirt and shorts for boys and instead providing a unisex ‘skort’ as they are calling them for girls who wish to wear a more comfortable option. (Simalis, 2012, pp.1)

For me when I was at school, being a huge tomboy I would have loved this option! I did and still hate those primary school tunics, uncomfortable like no boy could ever understand and for me, even that young, it wasn’t something I wanted to wear at all. Not that I think children being asked to wear a particular type of uniform takes away from their independence as one Anonymous debater on the website debate.org states “School uniforms take away from a student’s independence and creativity” (Anonymous, 2013, pp.1). I think that opinion is a little extreme as there are many other ways students can and do express their identities. I just felt uncomfortable in having to wear that and feeling like there was always a comparison with the other girls around me who were all different in their own rights, wearing the same thing.

I don’t understand the big issue of giving students the opportunity to have a third option with their uniforms. If a girl at school wants to wear a skort and shirt compared to a tunic, why is this a bad thing? She’s choosing to wear the uniform isn’t she? She’ll still learn and gain as much of an education as a girl in a tunic won’t she? I feel like educational issues like this, especially those and hotly heated as this one that revolve around culture and identity is missing the simple point of why education is in place in the first place. There are so many other things to worry about in a education sense, why does it matter if there is a third uniform option for students?
For me, this article not only conjured a connection to the identity politics topic in week 4, but oddly I found myself reciting a quote from the Phillips, (2206) reading. “Calvin Klein. For this guy, symbolism was more important than function” (pp. 1). I realised after thinking why I had made this connection.

There is a relationship between why this boy felt he had/wanted to wear his Calvin Klein underwear the way he did and the way for over 50 years uniforms in Australia have stayed extremely traditionally constant. I believe that parents are scared of change because of the aesthetic appearance it will produce. Parents of the older generation are used to seeing tunic uniforms with lined patterns, little tie on the top of a bright solid coloured collar, the tunic falling into a perfect triangle, because that is what they see is ‘fitting’, or ‘fitting in’ if we compare it to the Calvin Klein wearer (no pun intended). We are so scared to go against tradition or what is the ‘norm’ before us that these seemingly unimportant or less important issues become front page news.

Anonymous, (2013), ‘Can the use of school uniforms improve a learning environment?’, [Online]. Available at: http://www.debate.org/opinions/can-the-use-of-school-uniforms-improve-a-learning-environment

Phillips, A. (2006). What is culture? In Arneil, Barbara and Deveaux, Monique and Dhamoon, Rita and Eisenberg, Avigail, (eds.) Sexual justice / cultural justice. London, UK : Routledge, 2006, pp. 15-29.

Silmalis, L. (2012). ‘Students drop old uniforms to conform to a new reality’, The Sunday Telegraph. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/students-drop-old-uniforms-to-conform-to-a-new-reality/story-e6freuy9-1226532766683
[Accessed 26 September 2013]..

No comments:

Post a Comment